From iconic architecture to big-city bright lights, New York is a wellspring of inspiration for creative types, entrepreneurs and travellers. Smitten with the Big Apple, the owner of this condominium apartment approached Bren’terior with the intention of having a contemporary New York theme for his home.
“With this in mind, we used different elements to characterise each space, from the use of marble-look laminate to a Craftstone wall feature and mural,”
“We wanted to portray that contrasting elements, too, can be put together to form a very uniquely designed home.”
An avant-garde brick-look veneer wall that stretches overhead imbues the dining area with vibrancy. The homeowner also loves murals and slogans, so we paired them in the space, with a meaningful slogan on one side and a scenery piece on the other. The homeowner opted for bench seating on one side of the table for a linear look.
A sleek and streamlined wall feature was the homeowner’s preference for the living area. Marble-like laminate creates a dramatic focal point that frames a suspended console in black. Even with the limited space, we manages to achieve the look of a bright and airy space. Against this neutral backdrop, the orange sofa brings a zesty pop of colour.
Connected to the living and dining area is the kitchen. Natural light fills this space, so dark hues can be used with ease. Grey Shaker- style cabinet doors add a classical look, and is intriguingly juxtaposed with colourful Peranakan floor tiles.
While the master bedroom is a private domain, there’s no compromise on style. Here, we created two distinct spaces: the walk-in wardrobe and the bedroom.
Through discussions, the owner shared his preference for a simple yet engaging design. Bold lines cut across the whole feature wall randomly. To one side is a study area, equipped with a mix of storage solutions.
Blending into the feature wall is a door that leads to the walk-in wardrobe. To provide convenience for the homeowner, we incorporated plenty of double racks.
The master bathroom exudes a similar palette and mood. “We don’t often think of black as a proper shade for bathrooms because it shrinks an already small space. However, in this case, it showcases a sophisticated and chic bathroom with the use of black tiles on both the walls and floor.”
While each space has its own character, an underlying philosophy ties the look together. By exploring new ways of incorporating materials and colours, the home is an expression.
- The living area is sleek and elegant, but the orange sofa adds a youthful vibe.
- The materials, colours and images in the dining area provide many conversation starters.
- A glass door helps contain cooking fumes, while keeping the kitchen visually connected to the rest of the apartment.
- Every inch is fitted with storage solutions, to keep with the objective of practicality.
- The lines zigzagging across the wall in the master bedroom is a simple yet engaging feature.
- The use of black in the master bathroom makes it sophisticated and chic.
- The common bathroom has a monochromatic palette.
- Dark colours can work in small spaces when executed well.
- Don’t be afraid to inject bright colours into monochromatic spaces to create contrast.
- Aside from using veneers on walls, consider using them on the ceiling too.